Wednesday, March 18, 2009

paci broken!


A couple of nights ago Olivia woke up screaming. As I got her up and tried to comfort her, I noticed that every time I tried to give her the paci, she would spit it out and cry harder. So I just assumed that her mouth was hurting. (She still hasn't cut her 2 year molars.) After an hour of trying to comfort her, I noticed that her paci didn't look quite right. Sure enough, after closer inspection, her paci was broken. The air bubble had deflated, and she was rather upset (to put it mildly!)

So I told her, "I'm sorry, sweetheart. Your paci is broken."

"Paci broken?"

"Yes, baby. Paci broken."


That's all it took. She laid her head on my shoulder, and she stopped crying. A few minutes later I was able to put her back down.


When we would get ready for naptime or for bed, she used to say, "Bunny, paci. Bunny, paci." (She needed both to go to sleep.) Now she's been saying, "Bunny, paci broken. Bunny, paci broken." So sad! I've tried to comfort her by telling her that Bunny is not broken, and Mommy and Daddy are not broken. I think she is going to latch onto her pink blanket next. We'll see!

No comments: